All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Rhett on Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:41 pm
Rhett
Lifetime Member
Member #:01389
I'm researching a trip to the Canadian Rockies, or more specifically Bella Coola to photograph wildlife this Fall.  Does anyone know of any resources or have any advice on where to get started?  I will be flying in from the Southeastern US.  Thanks.  

by Mike in O on Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:42 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
The Canadian Rockies are to the east; Bella Coola is in the Coast Range.

by Rhett on Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:18 am
Rhett
Lifetime Member
Apparently I've got some research to do. Any idea which area is the best for wildlife?

by Mike in O on Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:15 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
The coast range has a lot of different habitats but tends to be more woody (harder to see critters). The Rockies have an awful lot of country close to timberline so views can be better. If you are into fishing and big rivers go to the coast. If you want tall mountains nothing beats the coast range (close to 20,000 feet, but mostly inaccessible).

by hillrg on Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:24 am
hillrg
Forum Contributor
I used to live in Bella Coola. The highest peak in the coast range around Bella Coola is a little over 14,000 feet and very remote. What type of wildlife are you interested in? I think you will find it challenging to find much (animal/birds) around Bella Coola in the fall. If you want coastal wildlife you might want to research trips out of Telegraph Cove and Prince Rupert. Also, you might want to contact Brad Hill (http://www.naturalart.ca/).
Regards
Rory

by Rhett on Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:51 pm
Rhett
Lifetime Member
I'm primarily interested in Moose and Bear. I'm surprised to hear the viewing is slow in the fall. The Tweedsmuir Provincial Park lists the Bear viewing as "Peak Viewing Season September 1 to October 15." That's the primary reason I was looking at it during that time period.

by bjs on Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:15 am
bjs
Forum Contributor
September is excellent for bear (both grizzly and black bear). Staying at the Coast Mountain Guest House is a good bet since the grizzlies like to feed at the mouth of the Saloompt river where it joins the Bella Coola river.  Tweedsmuir Lodge is also a good place to stay as it is in another grizzly hotspot.  The campgrounds in the park itself would be the third viewing hotspot.  

Not likely to actually see moose in the valley though (although they do exist as do wolves, foxes, deer, mountain goat and cougar).

by Chas on Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:49 pm
Chas
Lifetime Member
Member #:00037
Tweedsmuir Lodge is Outstanding and the scenery is Spectacular. BC is one of the prettiest places on earth. Tweedsmuir park has quite a few bears, but note that the park has quite a few restrictions regarding the proximity to wildlife, especially, bears.

Chas
Charles Glatzer M.Photog, Canon Explorer of Light, https://about.me/charlesglatzer
Check out www.shootthelight.com for info on workshops, seminars, appearances, etc.
NSN 0037

8 posts |