Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 14 posts | 
by Robert on Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:00 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
In the spirit of the current discussion about tour leaders and their behavior, I thought a post about tour leaders you recommend and why, would be a more constructive response to the question of who is recommended or not recommended. If desired, perhaps a second post could be made about who is not recommended, but I personally would rather just mention the positive ones in this post 

Recommended:
Joe and MaryAnn McDonald
http://hoothollow.com/index.html

They shoot along side participants on photo tours and advertise this with their brochures. BUT, they clearly make participants needs their priority, from rank beginners to advanced amateurs. They were always setting people up and looking around to see if everyone was ok with the shoot or needed assistance. On the tour I took with them I saw no-one left out or abandoned with out instruction or guidance in every aspect of photography and the tour. They don't play favorites. They were always available for questions and assistance. I was delighted to shoot along side Joe and MaryAnn and learn directly with them. If you insist that tour leaders do absolutely no shooting then Joe and MaryAnn McDonald's tours won't be for you. If however the point is making participants needs primary in all phases of the tour, then their tours could work very well for you.

by Don Nelson on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:52 pm
Don Nelson
Forum Contributor
Alan Murphy --- By a long mile. Make no mistake, Alan does photograph alongside the others in his workshop. BUT he spends a lot of time working with each of the individuals to ensure that they are not having any issues, and often checks exposures and gives tips on composition while the action is going on. He positions himself in the middle of the group in the blind to ensure that he has the best access to each of the workshop participants and frequently checks to ensure that no one has any issues. One example of what you'd want from a great instructor when issues arise -- when we were in the middle of some very interesting birds he noted that my 580EX flash had failed (dumping full charge even when set to -2 as fill - he saw it as being way too bright on the birds). He stopped shooting, spent some time looking at the flash and then took time to return to his room to find a backup flash. He also made a number of calls to see if he could find a replacement flash locally (boht purchase as well as a loan by friends), then called his friend at Allen's who came through with a replacement 600 in record time. ALL while the rest of us were continuing to photograph the action in front of the blind. You'll learn a lot while photographing with Alan, and you definitely won't feel like you were just there to watch him photograph.

by Tim Zurowski on Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:31 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
I agree . . . . Alan is one of the best, as is Glenn Bartley ;)

by amullis on Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:33 pm
amullis
Forum Contributor
I have taken 4 photo workshops with Tom Bol and George Theodore of ANPW. They are great! While the workshops attendees are out on a shoot, Tom and George can typically be seen circulating among everyone providing help and advice. On the first evening at the kickoff meeting, Tom is finding out what each participant wants to get out of the workshop (and he is taking notes!).

While out on a morning or afternoon shoot, Tom and George will still have their gear close by, and most of the time they are loaning out a lens or filter to someone. They do take a shot with their own gear from time to time, if only to have the shot later to use as a learning point in class. George also uses his shots to promote the workshop on the web site below.

I highly recommend taking one of their workshops! I am taking my fifth workshop with them this fall at Glacier National Park....

American Nature Photography Workshops (http://www.americannaturephotographyworkshops.com/ )

by LouBuonomo on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:38 am
LouBuonomo
Forum Contributor
Alan Murphy - The greatest respect for what he does and how he does it.
Andy Biggs - Shared a love for Africa which affected me greatly
Chas Glatzer - The man who inspired me from the very beginning on LI

Each of them do shoot when you are with them but for me that was part of the learning experience.. it was not about the shot but the field technique. Watching them work was worth the price even if I didn't get a shot. I remember to this day laying in the mud with Chas that first time out and him saying "look left, right, up, down and behind... shoot tight, loose, vertical and horizontal.

I am happy to call each of them friend along with teacher now.

Lou
[url=http://www.nwpli.com]NWPLI Member[/url] http://www.westhighland-imaging.com - Member of NANPA
NSN #353

by Vivek on Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:27 am
Vivek
Lifetime Member
Member #:01186
Of the people I've been with, I'd go with Glenn Bartley in a heartbeat.
-- Vivek Khanzode
http://www.birdpixel.com

by mortsgah on Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:00 pm
mortsgah
Forum Contributor
Great idea for a post. I'm looking forward to seeing whom you all recommend. As for me;

Brenda Tharp--

I have taken a few workshops with Brenda and find her eye for design to be inspiring. She is easy going, attuned to the participants needs, enthusiastic about the craft and has a great ability to help the student see. It is this last part that brought me back after the first workshop. Brenda sees the landscape in classic design form and is able to relate lines, texture, color contrast, etc into teachable moments that stay with you long after the workshop ends. Her mages tend towards the more intimate landscape and to some extent leaning to abstract. Brenda shoots alongside the participants, but puts the participants needs first. She is adaptable and not above changing the itinerary to suit the group, the weather and photo opportunities. She is well grounded, pleasant to be around and always cheerful. Her imagery is lovely and inspiring. A wonderful person and teacher. She knows gear, but isn't encumbered by it. Simple tools for amazing results.

Craig Tanner--

Craig isn't running landscape/nature workshops as much as he used to, but what a terrific dynamic workshop leader. His were always a party. Craig's knowledge of the area the workshop was held in extended beyond the sun angles and landscape features. He knew the locals and many a long evening of tossing back a few with the group made for a memorable workshop. His skills at Photoshop (and being able to impart those to the students), 'seeing' the features and components of the landscape and pushing the student outside their comfort zone all conspired to leave us both revved up about our photography and exhausted by the end. His workshops were schools more than tours. Each day had classroom, field assignments, image critiques but with plenty of time in the field. You needed your vitamins to hang in for the full workshop with Craig!
erik
http://www.erikhagstrom.com

by hscole on Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:12 am
hscole
Forum Contributor
Member #:01348
John and Barb Gerlach. John uses Canon and Barb uses Nikon. In the field they both are always available and in the two workshops I took they never took any photos. In the class room very personable and a fun couple to hang out with during the off-time. In addition, i find their workshops to be reasonable in costs. http://www.gerlachnaturephoto.com

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:10 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I haven't been on any workshops with John and Barbara Gerlach, but I met them in Tucson in 1994. I was impressed by how personable they were and the interest John had in my images. I didn't know him before that and he had no reason to take an interest in my work, but he did. He saw an image of mine  of a marmot that was used on the cover of New Mexico Magazine and he recognized it. I was impressed how he could be in touch with things from other states so far from where he lived regarding wildlife photos! John did a critique of my work and gave me some great advice which was much appreciated.  I could tell that they would be great workshop instructors and people to hang around with.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by dougc on Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:58 am
dougc
Forum Contributor
Hector Astorga at Santa Clara Ranch. Great person and teacher who will make certain you get more than your money's worth.

by George DeCamp on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:56 am
George DeCamp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00147
Charles Glatzer has always been my guru from day one, taught me a lot and I can recommend him highly. 

I have also seen Greg Downing in action several times along the way when I happen to be at Bosque for instance at the same time. He is very dedicated to his clients and seems to go the extra mile to help. I did not notice him just standing in front of his own gear but out and about working the students which is a home run in my opinion.

I have met Alan Murphy and also have not taken any of his classes but the results people get pretty much speak for themselves.

This for sure will be a very useful thread one day!

George

by Dick Ginkowski on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:32 pm
Dick Ginkowski
Forum Contributor
This question is almost like which one of your children do you like the most.

Some great names mentioned. Certainly Arthur Morris has earned stripes for bird photography in particular. Bill Fortney and Tony Sweet also come to mind -- Bill was the founder of the Great American Photography Weekend and a now retired Nikon technical marketing guru and Tony can find an image in a toilet bowl. In the Smokies, Bill Lea owns the place.

Putting all this aside folks, there are two considerations: (1) Who is a great teacher and (2) who is the right teacher for YOU. The answers may not always be the same. I've seen professors fail to make tenure because they knew their subject matter but were poor communicators and thus not good teachers.

More important, though, is whether the teacher is the right fit for you and your learning style. I recall way, way back when I bombed math in 7th grade and algebra in 9th grade only to ace the same subjects, respectively, one year later. The subject matter wasn't much different but the teachers were. So, one instructor might be great for one person and miserable for you if there is a communication gap between the instructor and your style of learning. One size does NOT fit all. I've experienced a couple of workshop instructors who were great photographers but not terribly inspirational in the field.

I certainly like to think that I do a pretty decent job in the narrow areas I teach but I am not Chas or Greg or Artie or one of those guys but I do a mean presentation on the nuts and bolts of being a traveling nature photographer.

My apologies for what in some respects may not be the answer you are seeking but I encourage you to continue researching and also to talk to instructors and people who have been on workshops with them. Also, sometimes photographers will do a one-or-two day road show in various cities around the country and it wouldn't hurt to drop in and see how it goes. Easier to blow $100 than $1000! :)

Good luck!
Dick Ginkowski
[url]http://www.pbase.com/dickg/[/url]

by cvh141 on Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:40 pm
cvh141
Forum Contributor
I highly recommend Chas Glatzer.   I just finished one of his workshops in Kalispell, MT and it was a wonderful experience. I could not believe that someone with his background and experience would have the patience to answer my questions...but he did and often went beyond what I expected from him. There are many talented photographers, but few that have the rare ability to pass on their knowledge to others in a kind, caring and respectable way. Chas was patient with everyone in the group and treated all of us with respect, regardless of our skill level. 

Chas went out of his way - he actually insisted - that I borrow one of his lenses for a session because I expressed an interest in trying the lens before purchase. During sessions, Chas would put the participants first, giving us the prime locations in relation to the light and the subjects. He would also give us advice during the sessions so that we could improve our images. He was definitely there to help teach the participants...not to get the best locations and shots for himself. During the teaching sessions he was very professional; during down times he was very warm and funny and he went out of his way to make everyone feel at ease. 

Chas' knowledge of all aspects of photography, Lightroom and Photoshop is amazing. To work with someone as knowledgeable as Chas is truly an incredible experience. 

Before going on this workshop, I read the testimonials on his website and thought they were too good to be true. Well, they are true. Chas is an amazing teacher and photographer as well as an awesome individual. I consider myself lucky that I was able to attend a workshop with him. 

I fully intend to go on further workshops with Chas and am proud to now consider him my photography mentor.

by cassidySRC on Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:37 pm
cassidySRC
Forum Contributor
Greg Basco for his patience, attention to all details, concern that each of his participants has an optimal experience, and knowledge of the wildlife of Costa Rica. His photography is lovely, and he makes it his job to help people in his workshops to be successful.

14 posts |