« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Bruce Sherman on Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:27 am
Bruce Sherman
Forum Contributor
I have read about the dangers of lithium ion batteries and TSA's regulations concerning them.

Does anyone know of any problem in putting NiMH rechargeable batteries, such as PowerEx brand, in checked or carry-on luggage?

Thanks for any info.
Bruce Sherman
[url]http://www.pbase.com/brucesherman[/url]

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:34 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/06/travel-tips ... cking.html

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/hea ... teries.pdf

What I found interesting is that NO Lithium spare (loose) batteries at all can be in checked luggage! But then again, I have never flown, personally!!!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Ed1946 on Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:10 pm
Ed1946
Forum Contributor
I have flown commercially several times this year and have both carried on and checked AA enloop batteries for my flash without issue. I do leave them in the packaging they were shipped in. Also carried spare camera batteries too. I also do not carry loose AA & AAA cell batteries - mainly I don't want to have them accidentally be discharged. I want them to be as fresh charged as possible so I put them in some save original packaging. This also helps me know which batteries are new. So far TSA has passed me thru.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:21 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Uninstalled Lithium (non-rechargeable) and Lithium Ion (rechargeable) batteries in checked luggage have not been legal for several years - that includes your proprietary camera batteries.  NiMH are legal but I don;t chance them getting accidentally confiscated by somebody that doesn't know the difference so i always take them in the hand luggage.

by jgunning on Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:06 pm
jgunning
Forum Contributor
As a former airline pilot I can assure you the threat from Lithium batteries is real. They have been suspected or confirmed as the cause of several large aircraft losses. You can carry them on-board a passenger aircraft, but they cannot (and should never) be packed in checked luggage. In addition to the links Joe provided above, this website will give you the rules for Lithium-Ion and Lithium metal batteries: http://phmsa.dot.gov/safetravel/batteries

Below is a part of an FAA statement regarding the dangers of them being on board aircraft. As EJ pointed out, I wouldn't count on the TSA or anyone else looking at your checked bags to be able to tell the difference between Lithium-ion, NiMH or any other kind.

The FAA reports, that lithium metal batteries are highly flammable and capable of ignition. Ignition can occur when batteries are being overcharged, short circuits, is exposed to heat, is being mishandled or is otherwise defective. Once a cell is induced into thermal runaway by internal failure or external means (like heating or physical damage), it generates sufficient heat to cause adjacent cell into thermal runway, too. The thermal runaway of a lithium metal cell creates an even more severe event than the thermal runaway of a lithium-ion cell because the lithium metal cell releases a flammable electrolyte mixed with molten lithium metal accompanied by a large pressure pulse. The combination of electrolyte and molten lithium metal can result in an explosive mixture.

On top of that the current fire suppression agent Halon 1301 found in class C cargo compartments is inefficient in controlling a lithium metal cell fire.

The explosive potential of the lithium metal cell can perforate the cargo liners or activate the pressure relief panels in a cargo compartment causing the loss of Halon 1301 allowing a rapid fire spread within the cargo compartment.

While Halon 1301 has been proven to be effective to suppress fires generated by lithium-ion batteries, it does not eliminate the risk of transporting such batteries.

Currently there is no container available that would be able to withstand the known effects of lithium battery fires. Common metal shipping containers, pails and drums are not designed to contain such effects.

For these reasons lithium metal cells are prohibited to be carried as bulk cargo shipments on passenger carrying aircraft.

by Dave Pluimer on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:00 am
Dave Pluimer
Forum Contributor
The plan should be to carry them on and keep them in cases, like this - http://www.banggood.com/Battery-Holder- ... MgodZ1AAGw

When I bought my Powerex AAs, I got two plastic cases that holds 8 each and a zippered nylon pouch. I pack those and my spare camera batts with a charger in that case and it goes into either my backpack or Pelican. .

by Jim Zipp on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:56 am
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
Those cases are what I always do. This past summer a friend had a bunch of them loose in a pocket of their camera bag and they were all confiscated at the security check point.
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

by Greg Downing on Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:49 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
I have checked bricks of AA NIMH batteries on many flights to south and central america over the years. Bricks as in 100's of batteries. It's impractical to carry them all in my carry on. I've never had an issue with the batteries specifically though I've been searched / scrutinized many times with all the gear. I carry them in 4 pack cases too. I do carry all my lithium batteries in my hand luggage.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by jgunning on Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:39 pm
jgunning
Forum Contributor
Greg,

The screeners going through checked baggage are looking specifically for Lithium batteries, so we would hope they could tell them from the other types. NiMH and alkaline batteries are safe in checked luggage as long as they are packed properly. I.E. so that they cannot short out and possibly cause a fire. Even if a fire started, the cargo fire suppression system would be able to contain it.
If the batteries were Lithium, and there was a sufficient number of them, it could (and has been proven to) overwhelm the fire suppression systems on board the aircraft. That is the crux of the issue. The number of batteries any of us would normally carry is unlikely to start a fire of enough intensity to bring down an aircraft. However, 100's of Lithium batteries can provide an intense self-sustaining fire hot enough to melt the baggage compartment liners. Once those have been breached, the fire suppression value of the Halon in the cargo compartment is lost, and unless the aircraft is able to land immediately, will very likely burn to the point of crashing. Thankfully, this scenario has not yet happened to a passenger carrying aircraft.

9 posts |