« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by calvin1calvin on Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:25 pm
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
Member #:00184
I am going to Louisville, Kentucky in a couple of weeks and have a couple of days for photography.  I will be taking lenses ranging from 16-300mm, no macro lens and nothing for bird or wildlife photography.  Just need a couple of suggestions for sunrise/sunset.  We plan is to travel the countryside by the horse farms and photograph the fences and pastures, one night to photograph a sunset on the riverside.  That is it.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.   

by Joel Eade on Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:58 pm
Joel Eade
Forum Contributor
The Louisville skyline at night from the Indiana side of the Ohio River is a nice shot. There is a bridge on I-65 and one on 2nd street as well as I-64 (but it's too far west) You can take the first exit off I-65 after crossing the river and find a spot to get a good image of the city at night. The town across the river is small and easy to get around in and no problem finding a spot to park. Could be a good sunset location too.

There are some farms around Louisville but most of the iconic horse farms are near Versailles and Lexington. About 50 miles east on I-64 from Louisville. You can take any of the smaller state highways east or northeast out of Louisville and you will reach farmland pretty quick. I don't know an exact location of a good horse farm for photographing.

Cherokee Park would be a location for possible fall foliage images but you may be a bit early.

Bernheim Forest (about 30 miles south on I-65) is a nice location for nature shots and could be good for sunrise or sunset. It has some nice walking trails through forested areas too.

NcNeeley Lake Park usually has very friendly ducks (mostly mallards and wood ducks) that you can get nice images of even with a 300mm lens.

Like all big cities Louisville has some areas that probably should be avoided....generally the west end of the city would not be a place to go and flash around your expensive camera gear.

by calvin1calvin on Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:17 pm
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
Member #:00184
Thanks for the information. 

3 posts |