Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 35 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:05 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I have a GoPro and would love to explore the use of a drone.  I think flying the drone on its own is fun enough.  Adding a GoPro is icing on the cake and have something to show for it. I watched a video on you tube of someone demoing the Phantom DJ 2.  The 2 has a gimbal which I hear is indispensable for steadier videos.  Flying time is up to 29 minutes (get 2nd battery).  It looks easy to fly.  That's what gets me.  Easy to fly.  Price is very reasonable for this type of copter. 

I'll take a stab in the dark and was wondering if anyone here have used a drone?  I am going to guess no as most are into photography and some video but drones have not caught on yet. 

by Anthony Medici on Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:04 am
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
I have a Phantom 2 Vision Plus and also have experience with the original Phantom and the Hubsan X4 (107D & 107L).

I suggest starting with a Hubsan X4 model to allow you to play indoors and get used to controlling a quadcopter. The actual flying time on the very little Hubsan is just over 5 minutes. I was given one to learn how to fly so that I could then upgrade to flying the Phantom or the Phantom 2. The Hubsan X4 has two modes of flight and is actually harder to fly than the Phantoms though it is much more durable when you are learning to take off and land. It has two control modes, basic and expert and if you can fly it in expert mode, you can handle any quadcopter. I suggest getting a propeller guard for it as learning can be a little tough on the props. A spare set of props might be in order as well as spare batteries so you can get more flight time.

I then graduated to the original Phantom which I was also a gift, I'll explain why later. That one needs to be flown outdoors in a large clear space initially so that you can learn the ins and outs of flying it. At one point I did mount a goPro on it though it has a rolling shutter and unless you can reduce the vibration of the goPro, the video is very hard to watch. (There is a youtube video on how to reduce it on that model. It requires some modification to the mount.) I personally liked the Sony AS100V mounted on the Original Phantom as it had several digital steady shot modes that showed quite steady video of it being in the air. The flying time on the original Phantom was a solid 10 minutes on a fully charged battery. Spare props and a battery or two were needed even though I had learned on the smaller quadcopter first. In GPS mode, the Phantom is much easier to fly than the Hubsan X4 though the basic flight operation is the same.

Flying the Phantom is easier than flying the Hubsan because it is GPS assisted. That means that it can compensate for wind and can hover hands off while the Hubsan needs to be manually flown at all time. I spent about two months flying the Hubsan X4 regularly, mostly indoors, before I tried the Phantom. That I practiced with for over a month before I took it and a Phantom 2 Vision Plus to Africa. That was actually the reason for the gifts, someone wanted me to pilot his Phantom 2 Vision Plus while we were in Africa.

The Phantom 2 flies very much like the other two with some subtle difference that makes the Phantom 2 easier to fly. The Vision Plus comes with a built in camera that can shoot RAW (very slowly, about 1 shot every 5 seconds or so) and can shoot time-lapse jogs and video. Since the camera is powered by the Phantom 2's battery, the flight time on the Vision Plus is actually between 18 to 20 minutes. We can see a video stream through an iPhone app and control where the camera is pointing with that application also. It also adds flight parameters and a basic video feed so that you can see what the Vision Plus is seeing, which is very handy since getting what you want on the video is very tough otherwise. The flight parameters include height and distance out and which way it is fly in relation to which way you are facing with the iPhone.

We had about 2 weeks of practice with the Vision Plus before we hit Africa and it shows from the lack of quality of the video we got while there. I've now been flying the Vision Plus about 6 weeks and I just to the point where I think I can get reasonable video of certain things. Flying them is much easier than getting good video with them.
Tony

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:28 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
One thing to consider before investing in one is that these things are going to get regulated to death. Already bills are being contemplated all over the place to limit and even ban their use in many situations that photographers might like to use them in. Just last night there was a news story abut people getting arrested for using them in places despite there not being any laws against them where they were flying them. While I love the footage from them, I have at times found them very annoying when photographing a serene place and all the sudden somebody fires up a "million bee march". The NPS is already moving to ban them, many municipalities are moving towards banning them. Here are some articles:
http://home.nps.gov/news/release.htm?id=1601
http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/20/travel/na ... drone-ban/

So far, Canada has taken a much less draconian approach.

by DChan on Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:04 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Here's a photographer who shoots with a Panasonic GM1:

https://www.facebook.com/amoschapplephotography?fref=nf

Take a look at that BBC video. Yes, the window is closing for video and photos with drone. Some of the shots he took in some places wouldn't be allowed now.

by OntPhoto on Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:50 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the feedback.  I've read it all and will comment later.

Drones in Canada and cities.
https://www.priv.gc.ca/information/rese ... 1303_e.asp

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/05/29/city-of-ottawa-investigates-drone-aircraft-powers#Scene_1

This guy has a popular You Tube channel on using the GoPro and Drones.  Here is one of a number of his drone videos.  He uses sign language and the message comes across simply and clear.  Comparing the DJ Phantom 1 to the 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcg11W04miM

Flying it is easy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VUUEA0U4lU

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:45 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
On this link, there is a video called "The Making of D750 Unchained". It shows a new Nikon D750 attached to a Grips copter at 4:44 into the video:

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Produc ... /D750.html#!

I'm sure the Grips copter is not inexpensive, but to fly a DSLR to capture video would be nice. It's the second box under the video screen.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by DChan on Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:14 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
I think you'd better know what you're doing before you attach an expensive camera to a drone :-)

But why use a full-frame camera when a m43 with 4K capability would be just as good if not better if you want to shoot video?

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:10 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:I think you'd better know what you're doing before you attach an expensive camera to a drone :-)

But why use a full-frame camera when a m43 with 4K capability would be just as good if not better if you want to shoot video?
Agreed about the "know what you are doing". Regarding the full frame camera and drone powerful enough to fly it: The ability to use WiFi to control the camera, along with the extra weight for stability of flight should make a huge difference over other "drones" with cameras like the GoPro. This gripscopter has eight rotors and looks very stable and heavy to me. I know nothing about using a drone, so these are only my opinions, and not based on experience.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by WJaekel on Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:48 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
perhaps OT, but I agree with E.J. in his comment. Not everything that's technically possible and maybe fascinating actually must be done. I cannot imagine to photograph somewhere in the nature and encountering drones flying around me - not to mention the impact on wildlife if these toys are used by more and more "nature" photogs.

Wolfgang

by DChan on Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:11 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
WJaekel wrote: Not everything that's technically possible and maybe fascinating actually must be done.
Then don't do it. Simple, eh? Nobody says you have to do it.

by photoman4343 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:55 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Houston Audubon Society just got a drone. I am sure they plan to use it to help them in managing their larger sanctuaries along the Texas Gulf coast like High Island and Bolivar Flats. I do not know what camera they are using or will be using, but I can find out if needed. I am on the board of Houston Audubon.

Joe Smith
Joe Smith

by WJaekel on Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:16 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:
WJaekel wrote: Not everything that's technically possible and maybe fascinating actually must be done.
It's not the question if I want to stay away from these tools but if an increasing number of  people - especially amateurs- will use drones in the future in the field regardless of the probable impact on wildlife, i.e. birds and the attitude of other photographers at location. There can be reasons of using drones for scientific researches, of course. But I dislike the use of drones in the wilderness by the common photogs. Just my two cents. Simple eh ? :wink:

Wolfgang

by DChan on Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:30 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
WJaekel wrote:
DChan wrote:
It's not the question if I want to stay away from these tools but if an increasing number of  people - ...

Exactly what I suspected: you just want other people not to do what you don't like to do. By the way, what you think could happen may not happen. Until then, let other people make their own decisions. :wink:

by Glenn NK on Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:42 pm
Glenn NK
Lifetime Member
Member #:01120
DChan wrote:
WJaekel wrote:
DChan wrote:
It's not the question if I want to stay away from these tools but if an increasing number of  people - ...

Exactly what I suspected: you just want other people not to do what you don't like to do. By the way, what you think could happen may not happen. Until then, let other people make their own decisions. :wink:
I'm aware of situations out in the (real) wilderness where a drone would have been very annoying to say the least; so much so that some people I've known would have simply shot it down - claiming that they thought it was a game bird.  And in that particular situation, the drone owner wouldn't have many practical options to do anything about it.

I have no problem with drones - but they must be used with great discretion.

cheers,

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources.

by WJaekel on Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:09 am
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:
WJaekel wrote:
DChan wrote:

As long as this decision doesn't affect nature or other people they are free to do what they want and use drones in their private domains. Beyond that we hopefully don't live (yet) in a world where nobody cares about anything but his personal interests. BTW, it looks like the NPS at least scores the protection of nature higher as the personal freedom of some individuals, see the article E:J. has linked to above. Releasing the memorandum they obviously see no reason to wait for a proof of any impact.

Wolfgang

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:42 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I didn't mean for this thread to degenerate into a drones bad vs. drones good debate or a debate on libertarianism although I probably should have anticipated that my comments would do that. My point to the OP, who is thinking of spending a lot of money on a drone potentially, was that investing in one of these could be impacted by legislation as they are already being legislated into illegality in many places, potentially making it a bad investment. If we want to debate their environmental impact and other things, lets move that discussion to the Environment and Ethics Forum ;)

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:09 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Interesting drone function:.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.accuweather.com%2Fen%2Ffeatures%2Ftrend%2Fwatch_drone_captures_scope_of%2F37744289&ei=yH9vVLWiDsvbsATP44CQCA&usg=AFQjCNEc35tTxKJqsC8ISOSu6B35Nmc9hQ&sig2=otitTUVdeG2hE8pOIBbt0Q&bvm=bv.80185997,d.cGU

by Rich S on Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:56 pm
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
I'm late to the party here, but also have the Phantom and have used it with the GoPro.  Having a good gimbal and practicing are both crucial to getting either good video or photos.  I've only used mine in remote areas, like my backyard.  Birds and animals generally don't like it at all.  We've a heron that regularly used to stop by my pond in an effort to eat my fish.  Let me just say that he doesn't come by any more - and I had never before seen a heron really try to fly at other than a languid pace!  I doubt I would ever use it to try and photograph or video wildlife.  They would need to be really habituated to the sound/noise.  The deer, coyote, fox, raccoons, rabbits, ... on my property really don't like it.  And I've no interest in trying to habituate any of them to it.  Surprisingly, the turkeys don't appear to mind it and sometimes a hawk or peregrine falcon will come over to check out the competition.  It really is fun and it really does have some valuable uses.  My daughter and son-in-law compete to see who gets to use it, and for them being able to survey their farm quickly from the air, seeing what's dry and what's wet for example, makes their life easier.

Only other notes: don't even think of flying it if it's really windy.  Anything over 10 mph becomes a bit of adventure.  (If you're going to fly it in windier conditions, make sure you really "punch it" when taking off.)  And you can use it for photography, but need to use the interval option on the GoPro and just plan on taking a shot every 2 or 5 seconds and deleting a lot.

There are a lot of incredible photographic opportunities where you're looking at something from a very different vantage point, e.g. not 1-6 feet off the ground.  But I think any user has to be incredibly sensitive to others, and I won't take mine anywhere when I think that I won't be basically alone.

Rich

by pleverington on Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:30 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Drones are an aggressive assault on nature as are snowmobiles and ATV's and high powered scoped rifles and 4 wheelers and the other things. It's so interesting how folks just blind themselves when it comes to wanting what they want yet turn around at the same time as if they themselves have no accountability. Sure drones can be a good thing, but my position would be only if those people are trained and licensed. To put another intrusive technology in the hands of just about anybody from any walk of life and any philosophy is certainly another kick in the ribs to all nature and wildlife. If we would think about their needs first, how different their plight would be. But this drone thing even assaults all who go into those quiet places and seek to find solace and peace. I hope they regulate the living crap out of these things. Enough is enough...

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"

by pleverington on Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:48 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Rich S wrote:I'm late to the party here, but also have the Phantom and have used it with the GoPro.  Having a good gimbal and practicing are both crucial to getting either good video or photos.  I've only used mine in remote areas, like my backyard.  Birds and animals generally don't like it at all.  We've a heron that regularly used to stop by my pond in an effort to eat my fish.  Let me just say that he doesn't come by any more - and I had never before seen a heron really try to fly at other than a languid pace!  I doubt I would ever use it to try and photograph or video wildlife.  They would need to be really habituated to the sound/noise.  The deer, coyote, fox, raccoons, rabbits, ... on my property really don't like it.  And I've no interest in trying to habituate any of them to it.  Surprisingly, the turkeys don't appear to mind it and sometimes a hawk or peregrine falcon will come over to check out the competition.  It really is fun and it really does have some valuable uses.  My daughter and son-in-law compete to see who gets to use it, and for them being able to survey their farm quickly from the air, seeing what's dry and what's wet for example, makes their life easier.

Only other notes: don't even think of flying it if it's really windy.  Anything over 10 mph becomes a bit of adventure.  (If you're going to fly it in windier conditions, make sure you really "punch it" when taking off.)  And you can use it for photography, but need to use the interval option on the GoPro and just plan on taking a shot every 2 or 5 seconds and deleting a lot.

There are a lot of incredible photographic opportunities where you're looking at something from a very different vantage point, e.g. not 1-6 feet off the ground.  But I think any user has to be incredibly sensitive to others, and I won't take mine anywhere when I think that I won't be basically alone.

Rich
Rich thanks for your honesty. Animals will interpret a drone as some sort of new predator or threat. The second point you made which I agree with is that only highly knowledgeable and sensitive people and I'll add sanctioned people should be allowed to fly these things. Putting these drones in the hands of the GP is an incredible mistake.

Wolfgang... you have hit the nail on the head also with your assertions. Please do not back down an inch. Photogs flying these things need to know their peers will be watching closely with their fingers on the speed dial to the appropriate wildlife and nature  authorities.

I feel they need to be banned to the general public. Not because they can't be of service at times...but because they are going to be more of a detriment overall than a benefit.

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"

35 posts |