Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by ebkw on Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:26 pm
ebkw
Forum Contributor
I am going to northern Quebec to a roadless area and am told I need to take a handheld GPS unit. 

I can't imagine that I will ever use one again and would really like to use my iphone 5s instead.  I have downloaded MotionX - GPS but have no idea how to get maps for the Ungava Peninsula. 

Has anyone used this app, or another one, for trekking and off-road?
Eleanor Kee Wellman, eleanorkeewellman.com, Blog at: keewellman.wordpress.com

by bender16v on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:52 pm
bender16v
Forum Contributor
Member #:02125
I use it for hiking sometimes. In the Map window you can open the menu (top left) then choose Map Downloads. That lets you choose Road, Terrain, or Marine. Then just drag the map around or alter the circle size to choose your area and select the detail level then download. Manual: http://gps.motionx.com/iphone/gpsmanual/11/

I have downloaded maps in the past only to have them not show up when I tried to use them a couple of months later. I'm not sure if the app deletes unused maps automatically or I need to select them. It's probably a good idea to test the maps with the phone in airplane mode to make sure they are there.

Edit: Also be careful that it doesn't drain your battery. There is a Screen Lock in that same menu which allows you to dim the screen. The app stops recording your track if you switch off the screen so you can only dim it. I'll make a waypoint where I start just in case the track gets lost.
-Chris Harrison

by DMcLarty on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:16 am
DMcLarty
Lifetime Member
Member #:00155
"I am going to northern Quebec to a roadless area and am told I need to take a handheld GPS unit ... and would really like to use my iphone 5s instead"

I would think that if the area you are in is roadless it will also be with out any cellular services thus having the GPS App on a cell phone for tracking and location will not work. The hand held GPS units use a satellite services made for GPS units not cellular type service. The reason you need a GPS is that everything in the north looks the same and even going over a small esker can disorientate you if separated from the group. GPS units by them selves are useless if not set up for the immediate area you are travelling in...before you go out on any day trip one must set the "home/base camp" site on your GPS or you will not be able to track back to the base camp if lost. If you are with a guided group all users should setup the local maps, waypoints together for the area. (take extra batteries for the unit as well)

get a unit and play with it before you go out...ie setting home base/ travel out and track back to your home base.

you can rent GPS units and or SPOT units from many outdoor stores these days.
below links to a couple shops in Ontario and quebec

http://www.durhamgps.com/index.php

http://www.gogogps.ca/

doug
The McLarty's :)
Lethbridge Alberta    
Rankin Inlet Nunavut Canada
In the Heart of the Canadian Arctic
Twitter @DadRankin

by ebkw on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:50 am
ebkw
Forum Contributor
Thanks, Doug.

The least expensive handheld unit I can find is $200 and it would cost me $200 to rent for the time I would need it. I have downloaded the MotionX - GPS program which is supposed to be used in areas where there is no cell coverage, only satellite. A handheld GPS isn't something I expect to ever need again.

An electronic compass is half the price of the least expensive GPS. Do you think that would work?

by Andrew_5488 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:03 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
http://gps.motionx.com/iphone/gpsmanual/

and click on right arrow and then map downloads.

by Andrew_5488 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:19 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
DMcLarty wrote: I would think that if the area you are in is roadless it will also be with out any cellular services thus having the GPS App on a cell phone for tracking and location will not work. The hand held GPS units use a satellite services made for GPS units not cellular type service. The reason you need a GPS is that everything in the north looks the same and even going over a small esker can disorientate you if separated from the group. 
Apparently it works.

"...Ensure your iPhone™ has a clear view of the sky. GPS requires a direct ‘line-of-site’ to communicate with satellites. Your iPhone™ 5, 4S, 4, 3GS or 3G must have a clear view of the sky to locate at least three satellites in order to give accurate position information. If you are located indoors, or in a wooded area or urban canyon (surrounded by buildings), you may be unable to acquire an accurate signal..."

"...The iPhone™ 5, 4S, 4, 3GS and 3G use cell towers to speed up acquisition of the GPS signal. While it typically takes between 1-5 minutes to locate a signal, it can take up to 15 minutes in areas where cellular coverage is not available..."

http://support.motionx.com/motionx-gps/why-am-i-having-trouble-getting-a-signal/

by ebkw on Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:21 pm
ebkw
Forum Contributor
Thank-you, Andrew, that is helpful.

7 posts |