Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by Leeboy on Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:30 pm
Leeboy
Forum Contributor
It seems that some people are unsure if Micro 4/3 format will survive. Maybe not, but I am certainly impressed. I hadn't paid any real attention to the format until I took a photography workshop in October 2010 from David Muench and he was using a Panasonic GH. He was very positive about both the format and the product. I was amazed to find a preeminent landscape photographer, who had made his reputation with large format and field camera work, using this format. He used it exclusively throughout the four-day workshop, and, as you would expect, he captured some fantastic images. He also told the group to be on the look-out for the GH2, which had not yet hit the market at that time. I have not made the investment yet, but I am very intrigued - especially because the smaller size and weight would be great for hiking, Now that Nikon (I am a Nikon guy) is in the game, I think the format has an even chance to survive, if not to prosper. We will see.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:50 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
What makes you think that? M43 will survive and probably thrive but the US and Europe are very slow on the uptake compared to Asia. It's the big brother 4/3 that won't survive and is all but dead already.

by Leeboy on Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:41 am
Leeboy
Forum Contributor
E.J.,
I'm not sure what you are asking here. I have said I am impressed with what I see of Micro 4/3 and that Nikon entering the market is a positive sign to me. As you are very experienced, you have seen many products and formats come and go. Nothing is guaranteed. I just made an observation, not a statement of fact. I am actually very impressed with micro 4/3 and will probably go that way myself, when I can justify the additional investment - because I won't be giving up my FX Nikon DSLR format anytime soon = )

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:49 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I was just commenting on this "It seems that some people are unsure if Micro 4/3 format will survive." which I don't think is true at all.

by Leeboy on Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:55 am
Leeboy
Forum Contributor
Okay. Thanks

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:20 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I'm really looking forward to the GH3 when it finally comes. That may be a jumping in point for me for a lightweight system capable of getting very high quality landscape images when weight is a major factor.

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:26 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
E.J. Peiker wrote:I'm really looking forward to the GH3 when it finally comes. That may be a jumping in point for me for a lightweight system capable of getting very high quality landscape images when weight is a major factor.
You are thinking Panny instead of Sony because the lens are more compact, or some other reason?

by Neil Fitzgerald on Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:33 pm
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
E.J. Peiker wrote:I was just commenting on this "It seems that some people are unsure if Micro 4/3 format will survive." which I don't think is true at all.
I think it was suggested in the thread on the fall of olympus. I have no idea on what the effect of that will be on the format, but that may be where the suggestion came from.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:05 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Scott, 2x crop factor, much smaller lenses and a much larger choice of lenses. There are literally dozens of lenses for m43 on the market from a number of manufacturers.

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:51 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Just a quick plug for the Panasonic GH2- it is versatile, light , takes great landscapes and movies and even some very tolerable birds. I take mine everywhere and carry it on long walks and hikes. It's especially handy for birding if you're not going for the perfect photo but want to i.d. the bird (The 100-300 lens is, in effect, a 200-600 lens!). Yesterday I got 6 immature Bald Eagles feeding together and roosting. It was almost dark, so I took a movie and the size and light were impressive.
Can you tell I like this camera? ;-)
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

10 posts |