Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 97 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:58 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Well, well...a couple of Great Gray Owls have been reported in the Lanark county area near Ottawa via OntBirds. Another Hawk Owl also reported in town here (Ottawa) today.

I just missed seeing a Hawk Owl snatch a bird off the snow covered portion of the river in Gatineau. Two other very fortunate photographers do have photos and I was shown the aftermath of blood and feathers on top of the snow. This particular Hawk Owl isn't as easy to photograph since the recent big snowfall. Hunting rodents was better when the snow covering was a bit less. Now the Hawk Owl is moving around a lot more. However, I did observe what looked like the Hawk Owl going after a Raven perched in the same tree (may have been my imagination...). But it did snatch a bird not long after this.

Of course, a number of Snowy Owls at the location east of Ottawa. With all the other owls sighting of late I haven't bothered going back to that location. But the shooting is very good there.

I officially declare the upcoming winter, "Winter of the Owls" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Last edited by OntPhoto on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by jnadler on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:57 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
Well, an active birder from your area, Ottawa, has decided to post owl photography comments down here in NY and Vermont bird forums. . which in turn has initiated more birder commentary. While no doubt, she means well and has the owls welfare in mind, she is creating some anti-photographer feelings well before any issues have even arisen. The ironic thing is that my actual observations in my area the past few years is that serious photographers with larger lens sit in their cars as blinds to take images a safe distance away while the birders with point n shoots walk up to the owls to get close.

Thanks to her posts, I'm feeling a bit like a criminal now among the birding crowds if I visit the owls with my serious photo equipment.

by Scott Linstead on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:03 pm
Scott Linstead
Forum Contributor
jnadler wrote:I'm feeling a bit like a criminal now among the birding crowds if I visit the owls with my serious photo equipment.
Yup, that's about the size of it from New England up through southern Ontario and Quebec. I am sad to say that I no longer look forward to owl photography so much any more. There's just so much judgment and disapproval one can handle...so many double standards, so many groups that suddenly become extremest-eco-advocates just for the winter till the owls are gone. Then there's the "I'm a birder before a photographer" types stirring the pot on photography forums on what seems like a weekly basis. There's just no refuge. I haven't even bothered with the owls yet this year.

by OntPhoto on Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:26 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
jnadler wrote:Well, an active birder from your area, Ottawa, has decided to post owl photography comments down here in NY and Vermont bird forums. . which in turn has initiated more birder commentary. While no doubt, she means well and has the owls welfare in mind, she is creating some anti-photographer feelings well before any issues have even arisen. The ironic thing is that my actual observations in my area the past few years is that serious photographers with larger lens sit in their cars as blinds to take images a safe distance away while the birders with point n shoots walk up to the owls to get close.

Thanks to her posts, I'm feeling a bit like a criminal now among the birding crowds if I visit the owls with my serious photo equipment.
The person may have meant well but I can't speak for them. BTW, what is your prisoner number?? Then why are you feeling like a criminal? The Snowy Owl location east of Ottawa has very few birders visiting. The only people who go there are owl photographers. As I mentioned, it can be darn cold there in the winter months and only nature photographers want to spend long periods of time in those fields. Many photographers go deep into those fields well away from the road. Now, I have gotten permission from the land owner to go into those fields and don't expect anyone who hasn't, such as birders, to venture onto private land. I've also spoken to a couple of other land owners and they are fine with me being on their land as well. Just be respectful and this includes not littering and parking to one side of the road only (my suggestions). It's a priviledge so treat it with the greatest of respect when you are there.

Last edited by OntPhoto on Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:47 pm, edited 21 times in total.

by snowywhite2 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:24 pm
snowywhite2
Forum Contributor
You may have permission from one land owner but this won`t keep other photographers or birders to trespass on unmarked piece of land beleive me. The pieces of land marked no-trespassing are still in effect. Just to let you know.

by OntPhoto on Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:57 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Great Gray Owls are starting to show up near Montreal and area. Notice all the Snowy Owl and Hawk Owl sightings as well. It won't be long before they start showing up in our city. Here is the link for Quebec bird sightings: http://bpqrarebirds.blogspot.com

by OntPhoto on Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:25 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I was alerted by someone to this latest entry. I thought maybe the landowners were relaxing their no access rules to such lands when first seeing the photo. But if you read the comments (apparently from the farmers and locals who live in the area), it doesn't appear to be the case.

http://www.jacquesbouvier.blogspot.com

Comment section.
https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogI ... Popup=true

Hmmmmm....if you are keeping up with that blog I read this:

"Final update on this issue:
After going back to Ste-Rose today (my last time) I confirm the group photographed above still patrolling the "No trespassing" area for snowy owls. Some of the same vehicles were noticed (Quebec & Ontario plates). I have concluded these photographers have the rights to the farm land.
3:57 PM".

Last edited by OntPhoto on Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

by c.w. moynihan on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:24 pm
c.w. moynihan
Lifetime Member
Member #:00801
Nice, I'm one of the snowy owl workshop particpants who's week long workshop was cancelled due to said farmers....
Christian

[i]Cuz I'm free as a bird now and this bird you cannot change ! [/i]

by tom walker on Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:00 pm
tom walker
Forum Contributor
Here's some food for thought. Look at how many people have read this thread - 5000 - and then look at all the snowy owl photos posted last winter. Then think about the number of photos posted by people who ultimately promoted their workshop, apparently cancelled. The real lesson here is if you know about a great situation why on earth advertise it to the world? The results will not be pretty and you will lose your "secret" and productive site. Over the course of my nearly 40-year career as a wildlife photographer I have seen this happen over and over to the point that some places are now off-limits. Sure, share with a very few friends or trusted acquaintenances, but the publicity for the Casselman (sp?) area last winter and this fall did not turn out well.

Tom Walker

by c.w. moynihan on Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:16 pm
c.w. moynihan
Lifetime Member
Member #:00801
tom walker wrote:The real lesson here is if you know about a great situation why on earth advertise it to the world? The results will not be pretty and you will lose your "secret" and productive site.
Tom Walker
Well said, unfortunately....;)
Christian

[i]Cuz I'm free as a bird now and this bird you cannot change ! [/i]

by OntPhoto on Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:10 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
It was passed to many people last winter. That's why there were so many people down there last year. Basically, the same people were there this year. From what I can tell, no one had any issue with people photographing there last winter. One person did mention a littering problem but he was still OK with people being there this Fall even when some other landowners had signs up (there's a story behind that which won't be gone into here). I suggest reading the Comments Section in the link above.

Last edited by OntPhoto on Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 7 times in total.

by Greg Schneider on Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:24 pm
Greg Schneider
Forum Contributor
That's really unfortunate. I was planning on stopping for some snowy owl photography next week.
[b]Greg Schneider[/b]
Gallery: [url=http://www.gschneiderphoto.com]gschneiderphoto.com[/url] || Blog: [url=http://www.birdphotographyblog.com]birdphotographyblog.com[/url]

by OntPhoto on Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:39 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
On the subject of Snowy Owls, I found this to be interesting (dated February 16th).

"About 2PM as we were coming back west on Conc 20 from the Ste-Rose road, we saw an owl on a pole and pulled over two poles further up the road past the bird. I was surprised when the juv bird flew towards us, landed on the pole next to the car, then opened its mouth and gave a harsh, shrill call. First time I have ever heard a sound from a Snowy Owl. The bird gave several calls, then flew to the ground across the road and gave some more." - Peter Campbell

by fike on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:47 pm
fike
Forum Contributor
They certainly have come far south. Here are some links to my blog entries about photographing the little guy(s).

http://www.trailpixie.net/general/post.htm
http://www.trailpixie.net/cute_enough_to.htm

by OntPhoto on Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:41 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
fike wrote:They certainly have come far south. Here are some links to my blog entries about photographing the little guy(s).

http://www.trailpixie.net/general/post.htm
http://www.trailpixie.net/cute_enough_to.htm
How often do you get Snowy Owls down there? Nice pano shot. Refreshing to see the owl in a landscape setting.

by fike on Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:33 pm
fike
Forum Contributor
I am a bit new to the birding scene, so I am not sure. Most of the birders I know were pretty surprised to see them in the region. Thanks for the comment on the panoramic. It is far more exciting when printed 16x40 inches.

by OntPhoto on Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:42 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
That's an image to be proud of. The landscape really gives it a more interesting and refreshing look. Haven't photographed much in the Casselman area this winter (went a few times only...the Fall was great to get some new background). Took a drive up there on the weekend and saw 2 Snowy owls. One flew up on a pole near my car. It had been perched across the road in a tree earlier.

Snowy owls migrate down to that location just about every winter so there's always next year. There are a few cooperative Snowy Owls in the west end of Ottawa but I haven't even bothered as many other species of owls have gotten my interest this winter :-)

97 posts |