Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 97 posts | 
by ebkw on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:51 am
ebkw
Forum Contributor
One thing that was a problem for the local people who live and work in the area of the Casselman Snowy Owls was parking. It is a dairy farming area and large trucks use the roads frequently to transport milk and feed etc. It isn't smart to park on both sides of the road there.

It sounds like its going to be a zoo there if there are owls around! Personally, I will be looking for places where there won't be so many people!
Eleanor Kee Wellman, eleanorkeewellman.com, Blog at: keewellman.wordpress.com

by jnadler on Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:22 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
I guess the Snowys have crossed the lake but all is not well. In the Rochester area, a dead Snowy owl was found per Genessee bird post forum.

by OntPhoto on Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:57 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
ebkw wrote:One thing that was a problem for the local people who live and work in the area of the Casselman Snowy Owls was parking. It is a dairy farming area and large trucks use the roads frequently to transport milk and feed etc. It isn't smart to park on both sides of the road there.

It sounds like its going to be a zoo there if there are owls around! Personally, I will be looking for places where there won't be so many people!
Anytime you are on a narrow rural road it is good to park only on one side of the road. I made this known to the people visiting there last winter. Also, don't park near any curve or bend in the road. Another option is to park in the town of Casselman and car pool.

Many people knew about the Snowy Owls last winter but many people didn't visit the place. First, it's cold in an open environment with few trees or buildings to act as shelter from the wind. Second, there was a lot of snow. Third, it was a long drive from town. Fourth, but probably this was the main reason why many did not come out despite knowing where the place was because some objected to a certain something.

The good thing about the location is that a number of Snowy Owls were there. If one spot got busy you just drove down the road to another Snowy Owl.

This winter I plan to photograph Snowy Owls there as well as a few other places I have in mind. I'm hoping we have a few more species of owls to observe, like the Hawk Owl and perhaps Great Gray.

Last edited by OntPhoto on Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

by jnadler on Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:11 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
Diplomacy goes a long way. I wandered onto an unposted field this morning to photo a harrier. There were no signs but a distant house. All of a sudden, I heard someone shouting at me from a distant house. I decided it might be best to leave. As I reached my car, a car pulled in front of it. An older woman got out with pen and paper and wrote down my license plate and VIN. As I aproached her, I asked if I could explain. Then in white lie fashion, said I had seen a rare owl flying by and was hoping to identify it and take a photo. I was extremely apologetic and said the lack of signs probably made me think it was ok.

She explained that hunters have been killing off her wild turkeys. When she saw my lens, she knew I was a bird photographer. By the end of the conversation, she gave me her phone number and name with an invite to call and go on her land anytime I want to!

by OntPhoto on Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:19 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Greg Schneider wrote:There was a Northern Hawk Owl reported on the Leslie Street Spit today! This should be an interesting winter for sure.
Dang! I just read you also have a Boreal Owl. I think it's close to where that Hawk Owl is. Keep those owls there. I may be visiting the Toronto area soon.

by Greg Schneider on Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:30 pm
Greg Schneider
Forum Contributor
Yes, I saw that too. I believe it is only open on weekends though, unless the area they are in can be accessed during the week.
[b]Greg Schneider[/b]
Gallery: [url=http://www.gschneiderphoto.com]gschneiderphoto.com[/url] || Blog: [url=http://www.birdphotographyblog.com]birdphotographyblog.com[/url]

by OntPhoto on Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:16 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
jnadler wrote:Diplomacy goes a long way. I wandered onto an unposted field this morning to photo a harrier. There were no signs but a distant house. All of a sudden, I heard someone shouting at me from a distant house. I decided it might be best to leave. As I reached my car, a car pulled in front of it. An older woman got out with pen and paper and wrote down my license plate and VIN. As I aproached her, I asked if I could explain. Then in white lie fashion, said I had seen a rare owl flying by and was hoping to identify it and take a photo. I was extremely apologetic and said the lack of signs probably made me think it was ok.

She explained that hunters have been killing off her wild turkeys. When she saw my lens, she knew I was a bird photographer. By the end of the conversation, she gave me her phone number and name with an invite to call and go on her land anytime I want to!
Hey Jeff, always good to hear a story with a nice outcome like this. Hunters on her property? No wonder she was so steamed. I wonder if this (the turkey part) has anything to do with your upcoming (USA) Thanksgiving holiday.

jnadler wrote:I guess the Snowys have crossed the lake but all is not well. In the Rochester area, a dead Snowy owl was found per Genessee bird post forum.
Too bad to hear about the Snowy Owl down in Rochester. You didn't mention the cause of death (collision with vehicle or starvation or another reason) but from what I've been reading, this is a bad year for the Snowies and some are found to be starving. One report today about such a case in the Brighton (Presqu'ile), Ontario area. A Snowy Owl had also been seen eating gulls (Snowy Owls will predate on birds if they can't find rodents and are very hungry) at Presqu'ile.

Some were worried about the behaviour of one Snowy Owl in the Brighton/Presqu'ile area (November 9th). "The Owl "Huff" does not have botulism, which we were all concerned about as it may have been the same owl seen eating gulls at Presqu'ile Park. The poor thing is terribly underweight weighing only 1400 grams. The woman at the centre told Doug that it would take a couple of days to see if Huff will make it or not. Basically the poor little soul has been starving. Hopefully, this woman can pull Huff through. -- Rod Lee".

Another report from the Presqu'ile area on Sunday, Novemeber 9th: "A Snowy Owl was on Sebastopol Island and a second Snowy was sitting on Beach 3." -- Susan Goods.

by OntPhoto on Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:30 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Just a quick update. Although I did not see any Snowy Owls at the location 60km east of Ottawa (just a cursory check) I know from a website that about 3 have been sighted in the municipalities near that location.

In my city, a number have been spotted by various people and this included a Hawk Owl.

In addition, the latest email to Ontbirds:
"Snowy owls are in the south in small numbers. Yesterday, Nov. 14th at least 3 juvenile individuals were observed in the Ottawa area. All birds appeared in good health, flying and perching. One was in the Fallowfield/Greenbank Road area, one in the Shirley's Bay area, and another in the Greenbank/Baseline area. Since this south bound movement began in the latter part of October, a number of Snowy Owls have been brought into the Wildlife Care/Rehabilitation Centers in weakened condition. It appears they are arriving from the north in bad shape due to lack of food, maybe lemmings. If you do observe a Snowy Owl, please take into consideration that the individual may not be in the best shape. If you approach it for better viewing or photographing, you may be contributing to its demise. Snowy Owls have been observed in Ontario, Quebec, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, the "Great Lake States" and some north eastern states. - Bruce DiLabio."

by Kin Lau on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:06 am
Kin Lau
Forum Contributor
Brandon Holden wrote:The recent Ontario Field Ornithologists newsletter had a cover story called "Birders, Photographers and Values" which seemed to talk about photographers a decent amount of the time... Talking about how "celebrity" birds are hassled by "paparazzi" - birders and photographers alike - along with a paragraph saying why baiting is bad.

This publication is now in the hands of the 2000+ members of OFO (which is easily one of the very largest provincial/state bird groups in North America), and will surely keep owls on the minds of everyone as people get excited for hopes of a good winter owl movement.
It was also written by Christina Lewis of the Ottawa Field Naturalist's Club.

by Scott Fairbairn on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:58 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
What does it actually say about it?

by c.w. moynihan on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:17 am
c.w. moynihan
Lifetime Member
Member #:00801
OntPhoto wrote:If you do observe a Snowy Owl, please take into consideration that the individual may not be in the best shape. If you approach it for better viewing or photographing, you may be contributing to its demise. Snowy Owls have been observed in Ontario, Quebec, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, the "Great Lake States" and some north eastern states. - Bruce DiLabio."
If they are starving, it certainly makes the case to feed (bait) the owl.
Christian

[i]Cuz I'm free as a bird now and this bird you cannot change ! [/i]

by fredcor on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:20 am
fredcor
Lifetime Member
Member #:00186
Brandon Holden wrote:The recent Ontario Field Ornithologists newsletter had a cover story called "Birders, Photographers and Values" which seemed to talk about photographers a decent amount of the time... Talking about how "celebrity" birds are hassled by "paparazzi" - birders and photographers alike - along with a paragraph saying why baiting is bad.

This publication is now in the hands of the 2000+ members of OFO (which is easily one of the very largest provincial/state bird groups in North America), and will surely keep owls on the minds of everyone as people get excited for hopes of a good winter owl movement.

Happy Shooting
Brandon
Scott Fairbairn wrote:What does it actually say about it?
Brandon, could the contents of this newsletter be made available on the Ontbirds website to all visitors? It would help to educate and inform photographers old and new as to the appropriate behaviour and ways of approaching these creatures without causing them harm. Surely, this important information should not be kept for members only, it should be disclosed to other concerned birders and photographers. I would like to know what the report says.
Thank you,
Frederick Lat Correa

by BlueDeuce on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:07 am
BlueDeuce
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:
srfnson wrote: During one of the coldest weeks last winter it was something like -25*C and colder with the windchill. But you get some milder days too. If I recall, two photographers from the warm and balmy Florida area came up here that cold week to photograph the Snowy Owls. They must have felt like they had just walked into the freezer at a meat packing plant or something :D Ahhhh, but there's nothing like the sight of Snowy Owls flying right up to you that brings a little smile (a little harder to lift those smile muscles though) to the face. And there's always a hot cup of Tim Horton's coffee waiting just 5 minutes east of there to warm up the rest of you.

That was me and my friend Diane. Never been so cold and miserable in my life. We also got some world class images that made all the work and suffering worth while. I plan on doing it again, just this time with better boots.

It was my experience over several days that the local photographers were respective of the land owners, left no litter, made an effort to park off the road (there can be snow banks ) and the well being of the birds themselves was paramount and observed at all times. When a individual bird had been "worked" for a bit we either trudged through the snow or drove to a different field to locate another Snowy. I will admit a couple of the photographers became a little exuberant once or twice but they were reigned in quickly by a tight knight group that frequents the area and don't want to spoil a good thing.
Mike

by jnadler on Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:09 am
jnadler
Forum Contributor
A weak and emaciated snowy was rescued in my home area yesterday. Perergines were dive bombing it. Local birders are encouraging us photographers not to approach other owls that show up. This certainly seems to be a case of feeding them mice will be a really good thing.

by OntPhoto on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:40 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
jnadler wrote:A weak and emaciated snowy was rescued in my home area yesterday. Perergines were dive bombing it. Local birders are encouraging us photographers not to approach other owls that show up. This certainly seems to be a case of feeding them mice will be a really good thing.
If one sees a Snowy Owl that doesn't move even when approached closely, then it's likely in bad condition. If I were to see such a bird, I'd try and bring it to a bird care centre (we have one in the city). Back in winter 2005-2006 I saw a Great Gray Owl sitting by the side of the road. The owl was just sitting about a foot or so from the traffic. Cars were whizzing by it at high speeds in the dark. Found a safe place to park the car and found I could approach the owl without it moving. I thought either it was in a state of starvation or had been hit by a vehicle. After waiting with the Great Gray Owl for about 15 minutes or so and with plans to bring it to the local bird care centre, it suddenly took flight....to my relief. It would seem the owl may have been side-swiped by a vehicle and was perhaps momentarily stunned.

http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/image/56012395

Bird rescue info.
http://www.wildbirdcarecentre.org/english/rescuer.html

Getting back to Snowies. This is a post from Saskatchewan but applicable anywhere. They're (Saskatoon) having a number of hatch year Snowy Owls flying down and some have been found starving (there was a news segment on "Saturday Report" on CBC's Newsworld this past weekend).

"So, if you observe a Snowy Owl that doesn't want to get off a road or stays on the ground in one place for more than a day, it might be in trouble. Marten is prepared to facilitate transport of any starving Snowies to the Vet College. If you try to help these owls, be aware that even giving liquids to a severely emaciated owl is a challenge to their system; giving solid food to a severely emaciated owl can precipitate organ failure and death. -- Dan Zazelenchuk. Matador , Sask."

----
----

Last edited by OntPhoto on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by OntPhoto on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:53 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Greg Schneider wrote:There was a Northern Hawk Owl reported on the Leslie Street Spit today! This should be an interesting winter for sure.
I never heard anything about that Hawk Owl again. It was likely just moving through. I'm no expert but I imagine owls will keep moving until they find a really good location with lots of available prey.

I just read a report about a Hawk Owl closer to home (a 2 hour drive is closer to home). If it is still there by the weekend I will go see it. Based on reports I have read, there have been a number of Hawk Owls already sighted in both Ontario and Quebec. There are also 2 reported Snowy Owls a drive from there.

The following location is much farther from home.
Wish I was in Rimouski still :mrgreen: Look at that big rodent in the Hawk Owl's talons. Those pics are priceless with the owl sitting atop that sign.
http://www.passionphotonature.net/forum ... hp?t=14047
In a place called Pointe-au-Pere north of Rimouski.
http://lavoieverte.qc.ec.gc.ca/faune/fa ... a_pap.html

It'll be a good winter for birders and those who enjoy photographing owls but not a good time for the owls. They're down here for a reason. Hopefully, most will find enough prey and be healthy to return north before Spring.

Last edited by OntPhoto on Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.

by Brandon Holden on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:35 pm
Brandon Holden
Forum Contributor
Hey Lat and everyone,

I can see about getting the text to the article and possibly posting it here - however I think the article was more this persons point of view, rather than any sort of scientific advice on how to act when around these birds... I felt it was well written, but had a instances of trying to inflict one persons ideals on others!

Brandon

Lat Correa wrote:

Happy Shooting
Brandon
Scott Fairbairn wrote:What does it actually say about it?
Brandon, could the contents of this newsletter be made available on the Ontbirds website to all visitors? It would help to educate and inform photographers old and new as to the appropriate behaviour and ways of approaching these creatures without causing them harm. Surely, this important information should not be kept for members only, it should be disclosed to other concerned birders and photographers. I would like to know what the report says.
Thank you,
[b]Brandon Holden[/b]
Hamilton, Ontario
[b][u][url]http://www.PeregrinePrints.com[/url][/u][/b]

by fredcor on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:17 am
fredcor
Lifetime Member
Member #:00186
Thank you Brandon, I appreciate your response.

Even if posted on OntBirds it would be useful, or if possible, the text in a private email.

Latafat
Frederick Lat Correa

by OntPhoto on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:11 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
jnadler wrote:Glad I own snowshoes!
FYI, there is a $3.00 most imprtant photographer tool for such harsh conditions, that's makes staying in teh field possible for hours instead of minutes. Those foot and hand chem packs work wonders!
Dressing for our weather or anywhere there is a lot of snow and very cold. Last winter I used a pair of Sorel "Bear" knee length winter boots. They're rated to -60* F or -51*C. This was coupled with thick wool socks or a wool/acrylic blend. For the better part of the winter this kept my feet quite comfortable. However, there were a few days when the temps really dropped and even that boot was not enough. So, for this winter I purchased a much thicker pair of Sorels, the "Glacier" model. Similar in appearance to the "Bear" model except with thicker insulation and rated to -100°F or -73* C.

It's not just the boot but a combo of boot and thermal socks made with the right material. Choose a boot that is not too tight nor too loose of course. I never did use any of the hand chem packs (but could have used some that day my feet were freezing).

The snow was deep enough that snow would sometimes go up to your knee and into your boot from the top. Some use gators to prevent the snow from entering into the boot from the top. I'm not a fan of gators so found another way to keep the snow out. Purchased a couple of those head bands (used to keep the ears warm) and put those on before putting on the boot. Pull the head bands up to the top of the boot and fold over (experiment to see what works for your particular fit). These head bands fill any gaps at the top of the boot and keeps the snow from going into the boot so your feet stay dry.

Dress in layers. Depending on the wind, sun and cloud cover the temp can vary quite a bit during an outing in an open field. I prefer using a knee length parka with down fill. Another layer beneath the parka like a sweather or down-filled vest. A large roomy hood helps shield your head from the wind. I found this sufficient for the head but there were a few days where the face really hurt from the bitter cold. A scarf or ski mask would have been welcome.

I found thin gloves with Thinsulate kept hands warm while still allowing the easy operation of a camera.

Although I got through last winter wearing a thin pair of pants, it is not recommended. Thermal underwear is useful along with a pair of wind resistant/waterproof outer pant. When you lay flat on the snow or ice/snow for that low angle shot you'll appreciate it. If there is a bit of a warm spell and the snow melts a little you'll be able to stay dry while laying flat on the snow. Also, when your legs are warm and dry you can stay on the snow longer.

Last winter we had the second highest snowfall on record. The consistency of the snow varied from hard glazed over to soft to something in between depending on the weather that day. Sometimes you can walk or even run on the snow. Other days you can drop a foot or more into the snow with each step you take. This can get tiring when walking deep into a snow covered field, especially when carrying equipment. One of the best things I did was get a pair of Snowshoes. It was much less tiring with snowshoes. Mind you I got into pretty good shape running around in that deep snow before I got the snowshoes. Often you are deep into a field and having to walk back to your car to retrieve something is much faster with snowshoes. A plastic sled/container with ropes attached is good for transporting tripods, backpacks and other gear from the car into the field. A sled acts much like a snowshoe with its wide flat surface. And a flat plastic sled slides easily across snow...much easier than carrying all that stuff. I saw one person use an inverted pail as a seat. There can be a lot of waiting in between shots of Snowies.

A backpack like the Lowepro CompuTrekker or MiniTrekker is a good way to carry your gear into a snow covered field. The backpack can be placed flat on top of the snow and opened from the top, thus keeping your gear dry and away from the snow. Makes the lens changing process so much easier. If you plan to carry the pack on your back, invest in a pair of snowshoes and factor the weight of the backpack (with the gear inside) when choosing the size of the snowshoe (snowshoe selected by activity type and the snowshoe size by the total weight...you and your backpack). If you are using a sled, all the better...just put it in the sled.

May find this link helpful too. http://www.icebike.com/Articles/Ottawa.htm

Last edited by OntPhoto on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:03 pm, edited 7 times in total.

by OntPhoto on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:44 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Latest Snowy Owl sightings in Quebec (this is before Trois Riviere, definitely drivable from Montreal):
"St-Barthélemy: 6 Snowy owls - (1) 200m before the intersection of montée St-Laurent & route 138 (2&3) west end of rang St-Jacques: one on east side and one on the west side near Montée Ouest. (4,5&6) east end of rang St-Jacques: near Doucet Côte in a field on the south side." We are not even into winter yet.

Someone photographed a beautiful white male Snowy Owl there.
http://www.passionphotonature.net/forum ... hp?t=14110

Translated from French to English via Google Translate. Brackets, mine.
"This invasion of [Snowy] owl is perhaps a good omen for observers and photographers, but certainly not for the owl. It seems that those [Snowy Owls] who manage to visit the valley of Saint-Laurent are emaciated and in very poor condition.

According to a message published on the forum Song Sparrow, 25 [Snowy] owl [were] sent to rehabilitation center Mont-Hilaire, 15 were already dead on arrival and 10 were in poor state.

So should the observers are aware of this fact and do not attempt to approach these birds for the moment, trying to recover their health after a long journey without food. Those who survive are likely to be in better condition in a few week. For now, it would be wise not to attempt to approach the owl, which could impose additional stress and damage their survival. -- Pierre Bannon"

Update
"I just got a report from Anne Marie Roth of St.Hilaire Rehab Center. They collected a total of about 25 Snowy Owls east and northeast of Montreal. 15 were dead and 10 very thin and in bad shape. If you see Owls, please do not disturb them too much. - Paul"

Last edited by OntPhoto on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.

97 posts |