Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by jkhoo on Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:53 pm
jkhoo
Forum Contributor
I am looking for a heavy duty but light (it's for hikes) ballhead that can hold a 5D+70-200/4 combination. Can anybody recommend one? Thanks in advance.

Jim
Regards
Jim Khoo

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:51 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
5D+70-200 f/4 does not require what most here would call a heavy duty head like the RRS BH-55.

In my opinion the very best head for your combo including the requirement for it being relatively light is the Really Right Stuff BH-40.

by deBult on Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:17 am
deBult
Forum Contributor
Really Right Stuff BH-40 or Acratech Ultimate Ballhead (the latter when you get in some really dirty dust/mud situations) http://acratech.net/product.php?product ... t=1&page=1
deBult

Last edited by deBult on Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by jkhoo on Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:28 am
jkhoo
Forum Contributor
I will take a look at the recommended options. Thank you!

I currently use a BH-55, E.J.. I like its capacity but would like to lighten my load when I don't need it.
Regards
Jim Khoo

by tagor on Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:10 pm
tagor
Forum Contributor
Another option to look at is Markins (M10 or Q3). I had an Acratech Ultimate Ballhead, but wasn't happy with it. The handling takes getting used to and I didn't like how it worked with longer lenses (non-uniform friction, so the setup doesn't balance well). The base wasn't smooth at all if the friction wasn't set to 0 (according to Acratech, you can only lock the base fully down). The base also had a small amount of play (maybe 1/10mm); it was replaced by Acratech, but the new performed the same.

(I'm mainly using using a Markins M10 right now, it works quite well even with a 1Ds2 and 500mm f4.)

-- Tilo

by Jeremy on Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:32 pm
Jeremy
Forum Contributor
I also use a Markins M10, which I even use with a 500mm at times. It is relatively light and compact, so may fit the bill for you.

by Stubb on Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:09 pm
Stubb
Forum Contributor
I'll second the Acratech recommendation but would recommend checking out one of the V2 models. The problem with the original is that the clamp is sloped, and Murphy's Law dictates that it will be perfectly aligned to block elevating/depressing the camera. It's only a few seconds to unlock the base and spin it out of the way, but it happened enough times that I upgraded to a V2, which I couldn't be happier with. It's the only serious ballhead that I've used, but it handles a DLSR with a 200 mm lens or my 4x5 with ease.

Cheers,

Andreas
[url=http://yank.to/Photos]Photo gallery[/url]

7 posts |