Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 21 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:18 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
In Australia, this eagle didn't mess around, but took action quickly:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/12/91454 ... gle-attack

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Robert on Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:04 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
My authentic and spontaneous response to watching the video? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Go nature!

by DChan on Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:38 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
I think we should ground the eagles  :wink:

by OntPhoto on Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:09 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
"The drone has landed". I wonder up to what size drone before the eagle decides not to attack? I am thinking about possible injuries to the eagle. Cool video as long as it was not done intentionally to draw the eagle in to attack the drone for footage.

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:42 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Unlikely it was done to capture footage. That would be an expensive gamble.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by stevenmajor on Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:59 pm
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
Is this an example of harassment / cruelty to animals?

by DChan on Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:33 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
stevenmajor wrote:Is this an example of harassment / cruelty to animals?
No. It's cruelty to the drones :lol:

by DChan on Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:39 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:"The drone has landed".  I wonder up to what size drone before the eagle decides not to attack?  I am thinking about possible injuries to the eagle.  Cool video as long as it was not done intentionally to draw the eagle in to attack the drone for footage.
I'm wondering if it was an accident actually. What made the eagle attack the drone? Its look, size, noise or something else? I mean, when was the last time you saw an eagle or any other bird for that matter took off and attacked something or some birds in flight "minding" its own business?

by OntPhoto on Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:43 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:"The drone has landed".  I wonder up to what size drone before the eagle decides not to attack?  I am thinking about possible injuries to the eagle.  Cool video as long as it was not done intentionally to draw the eagle in to attack the drone for footage.
I'm wondering if it was an accident actually. What made the eagle attack the drone? Its look, size, noise or something else? I mean, when was the last time you saw an eagle or any other bird for that matter took off and attacked something or some birds in flight "minding" its own business?

It depends on when the video was actually taken as eagles can be territorial during nesting season from what I read.  I have not seen enough eagles in person to observe behaviour but did observe a nesting bald eagle chase off an osprey not far from the nest.  An osprey is large but a drone can be large too.  Not sure what exactly would trigger an eagle to attack.

PS.  Bald eagle nests are difficult to find let along get close to where I live.  But I do know the location of one nesting pair which has been somewhat educational. 

by Brian Stirling on Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:41 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
I don't have a drone yet but have been thinking about getting one for a while. Sadly, there are SO many stories in the news and almost all of them bad so I suspect we will see a severe crack down on drone ownership and operation and this crack down is sure to go way too far. But, as usual, it will be drone owners that screw themselves into this.

As soon as the first police helicopter hits a drone shattering a rotor and crashing to the ground killing all on-board there will be a move to ban them.

Brian

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:10 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
When there are idiots that cause the firefighting planes and helicopters to be grounded in California and others flying them way too close to airports, of course something has to be done. A few bad apples..... There was something on the news about drones flying at 10,000 feet, but I find that hard to believe.

Joe

by WDCarrier on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:19 am
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
Drones are following dirt bikes as the next invasion into pristine natural areas, not to mention safety to commercial air travel.
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]

by OntPhoto on Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:22 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Funny that dirt bikes have been brought up. I shouldn't be surprised if it can be a widespread issue. Locally we have some land owned by the airport authority. These lands have been known to host all the local breeding species of sparrows. Not too difficult to find the various species and get close up looks.

In addition, many other birds also nest here including warblers and grassland species like the eastern meadowlark and bobolinks. For years birders, bird photographers, dog walkers and dirt bike riders have shared the land and co-existed somewhat peacefully. The bikes can be loud and annoying (if I was riding one it wouldn't be annoying of course) at times as their tracks wind around vast areas and usually near where the birds are located. But I found for the most part that they would throttle down when near me so I did not get irritated with them for the most part. Still, having dirt bikes in a nature area didn't seem right.

I was driving up the main road this past spring when a car heading the opposite was signalled for me to stop, rolled down its window and asked if I was planning to walk my dog. I said no and he proceeded to warn me that police were handing out tickets to anyone walking dogs on the airport land. When I reached the entrance area I saw 2 officers on all-terrain vehicles. I stopped to ask if people were allowed to go bird watching on the land. The answer was no trespassing.

One of the officers proceeded to tell me that a case is just going before the courts. Apparently there was an accident on the land back in 2012 when someone ended up a quadriplegic. And the person sued the City of Ottawa and the airport authority. I am assuming the accident involved a dirt bike but other accounts indicate an all-terrain vehicle. And there had been a recent complain from an older lady that she was almost knocked over. The cop went on to say that unfortunately due to a few bad apples, the land was now off-limits to all.

Not having access to that land south of the Ottawa airport is a lost and inconvenience. Fortunately in Ottawa there is so much other green space that it will not be missed too much except for the sparrows that nest there. I'm sure dog walkers miss it too as that was a hot spot for them. Of course the dirt bikers surely miss it immensely as it was a prime spot for them. Last year as I was parked next to the road with the windows rolled down, one idiot roared by at full-throttle which was a real assault to the hearing. Most were very respectful. You get one or two idiots that can ruin it for all. I'm sure the same can be said for drones.

by Larsen on Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:04 am
Larsen
Forum Contributor
Yes, the eagle took out a drone. And the drone may have taken out one adult eagle plus a nest. I doubt an eagle touching a drone isn't coming into contact with at least one of the propellers, so if the eagle flew away with a mangled foot, what are the odds it can then take care of itself or feed chicks?
_

by crw816 on Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:36 pm
crw816
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:
I've seen Osprey attack great blue herons and chase mallards, even red-winged black birds when they fly too close to the nest.
Chris White
www.whitephotogallery.com

by OntPhoto on Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:36 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Close enough buddy

A real test of drone tolerance :-) It doesn't have the feistiness or territorial instincts of an eagle but this peaceful subject was interrupted in mid-relaxation and I read was a bit perturbed giving the drone a what's up when it flew closer. 

by Jared. Lloyd on Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:02 am
Jared. Lloyd
Forum Contributor
DChan brought up a good question regarding why the eagle would attack a drone. . .

I use drones. And though I have personally never had a bird attack my UAV while flying, this is a very common reaction that a lot of drone users talk about. Talking with researchers at Duke University's Marine Research Lab, even they have their drones attacked while doing something as seemingly benign as aerial surveys of seal populations.

Cheers
Jared

by OntPhoto on Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:08 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Are you ready for a new fishing experience? .

Fishin' with a drone

I can see the follow-up to this.  You fly this thing around with a dangling small fish and watch a bald eagle chase it.  (I hope no one actually thinks I'm serious about this but someone out there is going to try it sooner or later).  

by Steve Roman on Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:34 am
Steve Roman
Lifetime Member
Member #:00416
One of my favourite demonstrations of territoriality.

https://youtu.be/R1XiT25JIXA

I have witnessed an almost exact duplication of this event in our home with our 38 year old Amazon.
Steve Roman
Champlin, MN
[b]NSN 0416[/b]

by OntPhoto on Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:18 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Steve Roman wrote:One of my favourite demonstrations of territoriality.

https://youtu.be/R1XiT25JIXA

I have witnessed an almost exact duplication of this event in our home with our 38 year old Amazon.

Maybe the bird has heard Celine Dion sing that song one too many times in that home?  :)

PS.  I have nothing against that song or CD. 

21 posts |