Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Mike in O on Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:32 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Just a heads up...a local bird survey found 27 Golden Eagles hanging around Fort Rock in Central Oregon.  Wide open country and with their eagle eyes hard to approach, but for a photographer, hard to pass up those numbers.  Weather has moderated a bit (no longer -20degrees F.).

by flankj on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:43 am
flankj
Forum Contributor
Mike,

Do you have any additional info? Are these migratory birds I'm assuming? how many are nesting in that location?  Am interested, but Fort Rock is 8-9 hours from me and I would want to have some assurance that they would still be there in a few days.

Kirby

by Mike in O on Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:12 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
They are probably a combo of local and migratory birds coming to the alfalfa fields looking for rabbits...they will stay for the winter. The Bald eagles will be arriving soon and there is some competition with the GEs. they tend to flock and are more pugnacious. 7 BEs were counted on this survey, but many more will be arriving. Look up http://www.ecbcbirds.org/CentralOregonB ... fault.aspx for the latest raptor counts. Golden Eagles are in a major decline in Oregon with approximately 400 nesting pairs. Most raptors will be seen on the drive from Ft. Rock to Christmas Valley.

by flankj on Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:37 am
flankj
Forum Contributor
OK Mike. Thanks for the info.
Kirby

by OntPhoto on Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:48 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
The golden eagle is elusive up here in the Ottawa area. Most sightings are flybys during migration. While chatting with someone on the weekend, I was made aware of this one fella who has a property northwest of Ottawa. Two winters ago he had a large number of deer that were killed (hit by vehicles, etc.). He retrieved the carcasses and had 6 golden eagles show up to feed in the dead of winter. There were bald eagles too. I was told that the bald eagles would give up their place if a golden eagle decided to take the spot. I'd like to see a golden eagle up close one day.

by Mike in O on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:16 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
If you are ever in Oregon, let me know. GEs are easily spotted flying, nesting, or sitting on power poles (getting close for decent photo op is the hard part...eagle eye in no misnomer).

by OntPhoto on Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:14 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:If you are ever in Oregon, let me know.  GEs are easily spotted flying, nesting, or sitting on power poles (getting close for decent photo op is the hard part...eagle eye in no misnomer).

Thanks for the offer Mike.  There is always a best place to see each species. Looks like Oregon is the state to be in for golden eagles.

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:10 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:They are probably a combo of local and migratory birds coming to the alfalfa fields looking for rabbits...they will stay for the winter.  The Bald eagles will be arriving soon and there is some competition with the GEs. they tend to flock and are more pugnacious.  7 BEs were counted on this survey, but many more will be arriving.  Look up http://www.ecbcbirds.org/CentralOregonB ... fault.aspx  for the latest raptor counts.  Golden Eagles are in a major decline in Oregon with approximately 400 nesting pairs.  Most raptors will be seen on the drive from Ft. Rock to Christmas Valley.

Sounds exciting.  Wish I could make it out there. 

Wondering if I am the only one who could not open the link you posted.

Thanks for the heads up

by Mike in O on Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:31 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Looks like the link dissolved...if you want counts and news, here is a link to the local Audubon Society
http://ecaudubon.org/

9 posts |