All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by VKM2F on Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:10 pm
VKM2F
Forum Contributor
Hi everyone!

So, I've been on safari to East Africa several times. I've certainly caught the bug, as it were, and am often planning my next trip before the current one ends.

My current aspiration is to complete a gorilla photo tour in Rwanda in 2015. I was hoping to draw on the experience of you all here and perhaps get some recommendations on photographers you know who are leading tours next year. A simple google search reveals many, many companies and certainly several photographers but I would love to get some insight from the users here. A good photo tour I imagine would include at least 3 treks and of course being accompanied by like minded individuals is a great comfort.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
[url]http://www.DentedCamera.com[/url]

by Arnie Berger on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:12 pm
Arnie Berger
Forum Contributor
I would recommend Joe and Maryann McDonald. Although I didn't go on their gorilla tour I been to Yellowstone twice with them. Not only are their great photographers and teachers they are great people.
When you are traveling with them you feel that you are with family
Arnold Berger
Powell Ohio

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:13 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
You've probably seen this video.  It was taken at Bwindi in Uganda but because it so moving, I thought you would love it nevertheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg2hCuDy2wg

Robert King
itaboutnature.net

by mikeojohnson on Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:03 pm
mikeojohnson
Lifetime Member
Member #:00374
If all you want to do is the gorillas, check this out: http://www.volcanoessafaris.com

Because of the way in which gorilla viewing works in Rwanda, there isn't a particular advantage (imo) to going on a photo tour. If, however, you add another experience, like Kenya, then there is.

I have been to Rwanda three times. Twice on self arranged trips and once with Andy Biggs.

PM me if you would like more info.
Mike
"Photography intensifies the experience of life"
http://www.mojphoto.com

by VKM2F on Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:37 pm
VKM2F
Forum Contributor
Thank you all for the kind responses. Your feedback certainly means a lot.

I have reached out to the McDonald's an am on the inquiry list for next year.

Mike, you raise an interesting point. I've always watched with dread the noisy group that comes along a siting in Kenya or Tanzania, giggling and shouting while taking a few snaps with their iPads. The thought of tagging along with such a group to the gorillas really irritates me! That said, regardless of the group, you have your one hour that I understand is quite controlled in the sense that we have strict rules regarding our time with them. I suppose I have my hour to enjoy and photograph the gorillas regardless of who is with me, right? Would love to hear a bit more about your experience.

Thanks again.

by Robert on Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:06 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
I second what Arnie said about Joe and MaryAnn McDonald. I can't say enough good about them for how they run a tour - I was also on a Yellowstone tour with them years ago.They run very good, friendly, and helpful to every participant tours. They know their subjects, photography, and give everyone from beginner to advanced equal attention for technique and wildlife behaviors to watch for.

by Martin Hale on Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:44 pm
Martin Hale
Forum Contributor
I photographed Gorillas in Rwanda over two visits in June last year. The weather was dry and sunny, and bright sunlight is NOT the light you want for photographing Gorillas. I'd say getting the timing of your visit right is the number one consideration, but equally bear in mind that if it rains, some of the walking can be over/through dense vegetation, so be prepared for that.

If you go as an independent traveller your guide will have to negotiate with the Park Rangers over which group you visit. Some groups live in dense undergrowth, others in more open areas. It's a major hike for some groups, easier for others. If you go with a group of photographers, your leader may well be known to the Park Rangers, and might be able to get you the best group for photography, not just in terms of location but in terms of group constituents, i.e. the oldest most photogenic Silverbacks. I've never taken one of his tours but Andy Rouse for example has visited the Rwandan Gorillas 60+ times I believe. Of course you will pay more for this type of trip than doing it yourself.

by VKM2F on Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:42 am
VKM2F
Forum Contributor
Thanks again for all the responses.

Indeed, Andy Rouse tours are highly regarded. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to be running a Gorilla tour in 2015.

You've all given me lots to consider. I appreciate all of your insight.

All the best.

by Greg Downing on Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:41 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
I'll be doing a trip back to Uganda next year. Why Uganda? Because it offers a mix of chimps and gorilla treks. I've done both Rwanda and Uganda and while Rwanda was great Uganda offers a more complete primate experience by adding the chimps to the mix and the chimp treks afford you the entire day with them rather than just an hour as with the gorillas in both countries.

Contact me off site at greg@naturescapes.net for info
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by vbpholaw on Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:09 am
vbpholaw
Forum Contributor
mikeojohnson wrote:If all you want to do is the gorillas, check this out:  http://www.volcanoessafaris.com

Because of the way in which gorilla viewing works in Rwanda, there isn't a particular advantage (imo) to going on a photo tour.  If, however, you add another experience, like Kenya, then there is.

I have been to Rwanda three times.  Twice on self arranged trips and once with Andy Biggs.

PM me if you would like more info.
Mike
I generally agree with Mike about the general lack of an advantage of going on a photo tour for Rwanda. I was there in 2005 and 2007, both on self-arranged trips with two friends (three treks on each trip). We did use a local outfitter arranged by Origins Safaris (based in Nairobi), which may have been Volcano Safaris (I don't recall). Our local driver/guide made the arrangements at the park headquarters, and in fact on our trip in 2007 knew the guide we had in 2005 (Francois) and was able to arrange for him to be our guide prior to our getting there.

The size of the groups on a trek is limited (8 max as I recall), and depending on the overall number of people doing treks that day may or may not be full. On most of our treks we did have other folks along, sometimes up to the maximum. I don't recall any problems with group members disturbing the gorillas or doing anything they were not supposed to or should not have done. The guides brief the tourists before each gorilla encounter and are pretty strict in making sure the rules are obeyed.

I don't think an experienced photographer will benefit much from a photo tour leader on the treks, but it will certainly add to the price of what is already an expensive trip. However, once the trek is done you may want to do some other exploring of the area. For this we relied on our local driver/guide, who once we explained what we were looking for was very helpful. Rwanda is a beautiful country, and its people are very friendly. I don't think you gain all that much paying for the added expense of a photo tour. However, if you are a single traveler you might decide that you would enjoy the other benefits that small group travel can provide with like-minded travelers. Also, if you are a single traveler, the cost of hiring a driver/guide, lodging, and other costs unrelated to the actual gorilla treks will be higher. Whether or not that would offset the added cost inherent in a photo tour (i.e., paying for the photo leader(s) I don't know.

Whatever you decide I highly recommend Rwanda as a destination. There is nothing like spending even an hour with the gorillas. As Greg noted in his comments, there are some advantages that a trip to Uganda can provide, but as I understand it there also are much longer drives to get to the area where the gorillas are located (don't know about the chimpanzees), and if you want to maximize your primate experience, it might be better for the reasons Greg mentions. It really comes down to what you are looking for, how much the options cost, and how it all fits in with your other plans (e.g., it was very easy to combine a safari in Kenya with the gorilla treks in Rwanda).

by Robert Sabin on Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:13 pm
Robert Sabin
Forum Contributor
I went on 12 Treks a few Months ago in Rwanda...PM Me..
I have all Great Info....cost-effective..

by VKM2F on Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:17 am
VKM2F
Forum Contributor
Well, just to come full circle, I wanted to thank you all again for your insights. I've gone ahead and booked a private tour as opposed to joining a photo tour. I'll be doing 4 treks this April. This is the rainy season so I'm hoping for overcast skies but hopefully not too much precipitation!

Will hopefully have great stories and a few keepers to share with you all. Thanks again.

12 posts |