« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by owlseye on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:03 pm
owlseye
Forum Contributor
Hello and thanks in advance for any suggestions that you make. 
I will be starting a 16 day photo/camping trip next Saturday. I've got the beginning of my travels down, but I have about 6 days on the tail end where I don't know where to go. 
I will be leaving East-Central MN for the Picture Rocks Area (U.P.) where I will be camping for three nights. From the U.P., I will be crossing the border and spending 2 nights at Killarney Provincial Park in Ontario. We leave Killarney and will spend 5 nights camping in Algonquin Provincial. We leave Algoquin, but I'm not sure where to point the car at this point. 

I will be traveling with a hard side pop-up camper, 2 dogs and my wife. We've done many photo road trips in the past and tend go wherever. Because I am unfamiliar with this area of Canada, I'd appreciate any suggestions that you might have. I have about 6 days from Algonquin before I need to be home and return to the working world.

Thanks again and regards,
bruce

by Craig Browne on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:04 pm
Craig Browne
Forum Contributor
Hi Bruce,, To be honest ide spend the extra time at Algonquin park, its a pretty big place. If you could rent a canoe you will have a great time. Seen some really nice Moose photos out in the water, some black bear also nice place to relax and camp and hiking. Heck I live in Quebec and may head up there myself.. Have a good time.

by baldsparrow on Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:12 pm
baldsparrow
Forum Contributor
Quebec - either to the Charlevoix region on the northern shore of the gulf or out to the Gaspé area on the southern shore. Stunning scenery, great wildlife, sunsets to make any photographer weak at the knees and great people and food.

by Craig Browne on Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:53 pm
Craig Browne
Forum Contributor
Yes Gaspe is a nice scenic location, But its a good 16 hour drive from Algonquin park. If your up to it make sure to stop by Quebec city on the way

by Tim Marks on Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:01 pm
Tim Marks
Forum Contributor
If you enjoy history Quebec City is a treasure trove of photo ops. I believe (could be wrong) it is the only walled city in North America and dates back to the 1600s.
Tim Marks
Royal Oak, Michigan
http://www.photowanderer.smugmug.com

by owlseye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:57 pm
owlseye
Forum Contributor
Thank you for the suggestions.
I'm not sure I'm up for for another 16 hour drive as I'll have to turn it all around and head back to MN.... however, I've done crazier things (just got back from a 7 day road trip to NYC w/my wife and two large dogs in my mini cooper. Quebec City sounds marvelous. I may look for a dog-friendly motel and stay there for a few days after spending 10+ nights in our pop-up camper. As for staying in Algonquin... we figured we'd see how photographically productive we are. If the shooting is good, we may spend the rest of our time there.

We had such a marvelous time in 2012 traveling throughout the Canadian Rockies that we wanted to see some more wild spaces "north of the border."
If anyone has other suggestions, I'm all ears.
regards,
bruce

by Ethan Meleg on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:53 pm
Ethan Meleg
Forum Contributor
Bruce, what are you most interested in seeing/shooting in terms of subjects? For scenery, Killarney is fantastic, Algonquin very good.... you should also consider Bruce Peninsula National Park which has world-class scenery along the shoreline (although it is busy). Lake Superior Provincial Park (farther west but driveable from Killarney) has spectacular scenery.
Ethan Meleg
web: [url]http://www.ethanmeleg.com[/url]

by owlseye on Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:14 pm
owlseye
Forum Contributor
Ethan Meleg wrote:Bruce, what are you most interested in seeing/shooting in terms of subjects? For scenery, Killarney is fantastic, Algonquin very good.... you should also consider Bruce Peninsula National Park which has world-class scenery along the shoreline (although it is busy). Lake Superior Provincial Park (farther west but driveable from Killarney) has spectacular scenery.
Thanks Ethan,
I am a bit of a nature generalist with an equal mix of wildlife and landscape (you can check it all out at http://btleventhal.com ). In 2012 I spent 18 days driving, shooting, and camping in the Canadian Rockies and wanted to see a different part of Canada this year. I was surprised that, even with the reputation for wildlife, I produced nearly as many landscapes in the Rockies as I did wildlife shots. Because I live in MN, I am very familiar with Lake Superior and its spectacular shore. I assumed that I would be doing mostly landscape work in Killarney and would not object to another unique spot for the back end of my trip. Because I leave Algonquin on the 22nd and need to be back in East Central, MN on the 27th, I'm hoping to find an interesting loop that gets me home. Thanks for the tip about Lake Superior provincial, as this might be a good spot to spend my last two days before driving back into MN.

regards,
bruce 

by OntPhoto on Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:03 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
If in the Ottawa area, one of the best places to photograph wolves (both artic and grey and maybe others) is at Parc Omega across the river in Quebec.  It is a 40 minute drive from Ottawa.  I think just about everyone here with up close photos of wolves and pack wolf photos photograph them at Parc Omega.  I am 99% certain. 

There is a walkway to get even closer to the wolves. However, many good photos are taken just at the fence and you shoot thru or over it. It is well known at this location that people throw pieces of chicken, hot dogs etc. over the fence for the wolves and they come readily for it (I am not recommending this, just sharing a fact).  Wolves are fed regularly here by park staff since they are captive but still run "freely" and breed here.

Although they are in captivity, the wolves do breed here.  The wolves have their large area to roam in but are fenced in.  You would never know they were captive in a photo so photography is excellent here.  

Besides artic wolves, there are also bison, caribou, elk, grey wolf, artic fox, red fox, coyote, and many other species.  Place is open year round so winter offers a different background.  Great place to visit.  Try and go when it is not busy so you can stop longer at the wolf area (call the park and see when the non busy days and times are.  I know some people who go visit on Boxing Day when the place is empty and they have it to themselves).  :-)

http://parcomega.ca/en/

http://parcomega.ca/en/the-animals/boreal-region/

http://parcomega.ca/en/the-animals/forest/

9 posts |